1. When was the Gay Basketball League formed?
The league was formed in the fall of 1994.
3. When does the season begin?
The season will begin the first week of January. New players will be asked to attend one of two new player nights in early December.
4. How many games do you play?
We play 13 games during the regular season, followed by 3 rounds (8-4-2 format) of playoff games.
5. How many levels are there?
There is one level of play.
6. What days are games held?
The majority of games are played on Sundays from 9 - 12 or Thursday from 7-10, with few exceptions.
7. Are there games on other nights?
In the event of a weather cancellation or time conflict, we may play on a Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon, if necessary.
8. I don't know that much about the game, can I still participate?
Absolutely. Beginners are always welcome, as are players of all experience.
9. How are the teams picked?
Players are chosen through a draft system by the league captains before the league begins.
10. Are there playoffs?
Yes. At the conclusion of each season the teams battle it out in playoffs to win their division championship followed by an end of the year banquet with trophies and awards.
11. Are there practice sessions?
Nope! Just weekly games.
12. How much does it cost to participate?
Player fees for the 2017-2018 season are $190.25 per player. That includes up to 14 games and access one night of pick-up per week.
13. Do you have to be gay to play in the league?
Absolutely not. The league fosters an athletic environment free of discrimination for members and friends of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community. It also promotes positive values in our community and will fight to eliminate negative stereotypes associated with LGBTQ athletics.
14. How does one become a sponsor of a team?
We love league sponsors! Sponsorship includes your logo on our website, a team named after your business, access to our listserv to help promote your business and specialized events or offers to help
15. Can trans or genderqueer people play in the league?
Yes (see below).